Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Create Buzz

Tuesdays with Tiffany
By Tiffany Colter

What do you think of when you hear "Create Buzz". I think of some movie star and their roller coaster life going out for a movie premier.

But we don't want to be movie stars. We don't want to see the insane climbs and drops of their life. So what so we want.

We want to be seen. We want to be recognized.

My degree is in political science [so yes, this year long presidential race in the US is a BLAST for me!!] and so I understand the importance of name recognition. Studies have shown that unknown voters unfamilar with a candidates views will superimpose their own beliefs on to that candidate and vote for them.

For writers this mean that name recognition may get the reader to give you a chance when they are browsing a bookstore looking for something to read. Seeing your name-and recognizing it-may be enough to simply grab the book.

Book jackets and cover art are great only but in a bookstore your name and title will be sideways on a shelf. The only chance you have is a great title or a recognizable name.

I have a few ways that I'm working to get my name more recognized.

* I have 'followed' blogs that I read often on blogger. This not only provides one convenient place on my dashboard to scan blogs that interest me, but if the blogger shows their followers people will see me among them. This could lead to someone checking my blog out.
* I leave comments on other blogs when I have something meaningful to say or a legitimate question. I used to email the blogger to ask a question but now I create more of a dialog by posting my question in the comments. I've had a few people come over to my blog because they saw my comment.
* Writing Articles. I write for online Ezines in addition to print media. Anything to get my name in front of people. And then I talk about being in those publications.
* I talk about speaking engagements. All of you should know by now that I'm speaking at the Midwest Dreams Writer's Conference and the Y-City Writer's Conference. I promote those conferences and they tell others about me.

What ways do you have to increase your name recognition? Are you doing them?

Come on over to my main blog and join the discussion or join my fiction blog and be the first to see chapter one of "A Face in the Shadow".

So now you know my name, what are you doing to help us learn yours?

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and Writing Career Coach. She offers business building classes to writers as well as mentorship and career planning. She can be reached at www.WritingCareerCoach.com

No comments: