Sunday, February 15, 2009

Healing Rest

I think God does have a funny sense of humor. I keep learning things about rest because I need it. He used a little bug I didn't even see to capture my wandering attention.

Does that kind of thing happen to you?

I forget to allow my body to rest so I think God reminds me through little things that force me to take the time out of a day's rush and rest.

A couple of days ago, I received a bug bite. Not a big deal. I didn't even see what bit me on the neck and swelled up the muscle.

The next day, it had gone down and I thought I was easily on the mend.

Nope.

There was a message waiting. My lymph nodes hadn't decided quite what to do with all the poison. While we were out to a fun double date on Valentine's day, my throat started to swell on that one side. By 11 p.m. I was so sick that I knew I couldn't go to church the next morning. I went to bed planning to sleep it off. And I did.

This morning, I woke up feeling great except for the sore throat had gone to mild and all the way across both sides and a bit of muscle soreness on the side of my neck and into my jaw.

I purposefully laid in bed, read a book for a little while and then got up to eat.

Oh my goodness. I felt really good other than that stupid scratchy throat. So I took some cold medicine and went to work on our plans for the day. We have one kiddo moving home for a few months to pay off a car and get ready to move out permanently. So we needed to shuttle rooms around again.

I worked all afternoon. Then I sat down to sort out some books-and it hit. I was burning eye tired. I needed, um, rest.

So here I sit on the sofa regrouping from a couple of hours of steady cleaning and rearranging furniture between three bedrooms. And I realize it was too much.

It wasn't hard to recognize I was tired. I couldn't hardly climb the stairs again. The fatigue signal wasn't just whispering, it was shouting at me. I think it's a very important to recognize your body signals whether it's from fatigue, illness or hunger signals. But we all get too busy and then ignore them, don't we?

What's the body signal you've been igoring lately?

Do you think it could be shouting at you?

It took a silly little bug to catch my attention. What will it take to get your attention?

Angie
Come visit over at God Uses Broken Vessels for thoughtful tidbits, book reviews and even some posts about Montana!

No comments: