Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Using imagery and symbolism in your writing

Tuesdays with Tiffany
by Tiffany Colter

Today I'm going to talk a bit about using symbolism in our writing. Whether you write women's fiction or mystery/suspense, you want to sprinkle symbolism in your writing to reach your reader on a deeper level and also to give them a sense of discovery.

It is difficult to give a lesson on symbolism in a blog because it is usually sprinkled throughout the entire book. Unless we all read the same book we couldn't really talk about it. BUT I can talk about a music video by Barlow Girl. It is called "Never Alone" and I'm going to paste it below for you dsl/high speed people. I've only been high speed for a year so I'm REALLY sorry dial-up...if you'd like to see it check at the library.

Now, what I want you to notice is the man who is tied up [you'll see flashes of him throughout the video]. Also listen to the lyrics.



Now, considering the lyrics what could the symbolism of the man be?

I've watched the video 3 times [at least] over the last few days and each time I see something different. Consider what scripture says:

The man is struggling against the ropes
"We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.' Acts 26:14

The man is in the middle of a dry place "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." Psalm 63:1

When the man let his arms down [surrendered his will] the ropes fell off of him and he walked away, relieved. When we are finally willing to stop doing it OUR way and allow God to do it HIS way we not only experience the best outcome, but we have joy in our journey.

Notice, God didn't turn the terrain a lush green but rather he LED the man out of the Dry place. He still had to walk through it but he was no longer bound there.

So look at the symbolism you can put in your writing and allow this symbolism to minister to your heart.

And the refrain of this song:

I cry out with no reply and
I can't feel you by my side
so I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I'm never alone

See you Later this week on my blog or next week right here.

Your Coach for the Journey, Tiffany Colter

No comments: