Thursday, December 29, 2011

MEET GINA CONROY


I would like to introduce our third guest blogger, Gina Conroy. 

It’s Christmas Time In New York City
by Gina Conroy

“City sidewalks, busy sidewalks
Dressed in holiday style
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas…”
When I think of Christmas,  I think of New York City. The chill in the air. The bright tree in Rockefeller Center. Watching skaters navigate the ice with grace, buying chestnuts from a street vendor to keep warm, and the Rockets Christmas show.
I’ve only attended the Radio City Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes a couple times in my life, but both times they made an indelible impression on me. One when I was little. I remember standing in line holding a brown paper bag full of chestnuts too hot to eat. I remember the chill in the air, the long time waiting in line, and warming my hands from the warm paper bag. I don’t recall the Radio City Christmas Show, but I remember my mom telling me about how her mom would always take her into New York City to see the Christmas show. I wanted my children to have the same experience, but we lived smack dab in the middle of the United States. When I heard the show would be playing in Branson one year, I made reservations for the show and was more excited than my children.
When we walked into the theatre, I couldn’t remember the details of the show. Didn’t even know if the show would be the same, all I knew was that it was  spectacular and I couldn’t wait for my children to experience it.
The show lived up to its name. It was spectacular! The costumes, the music, the dancing, the Rockettes chorus line, even Santa showed up. It was a lively, show that kept the attention of my small children, but what I didn’t know was that it was going to be a moving spiritual experience for me that I would remember for a life time.
The moment came after all the glitz and glamour. The show was almost over, but the lights dimmed.  Then “the show’s pinnacle since 1933” began. In reverent procession the live nativity, with hundreds of people and live animals, started down both isle telling the story of the first Christmas without words.
My breath caught and my spirit was stirred as the wise men and their entourage brought their gifts to the baby Jesus. The king of the Jews whom they had come to worship. I’m not sure how long the procession lasted, but it was long enough for me to worship like they did.
All the “spectacular” of the show faded away and in that moment, in a dark theatre it was Christmas. God’s presence moved me, his love, the gift of his son, floored me. And no other Christmas show has come close! 

For more information on the show visit the Radio City Christmas Spectacluar  and to see if there’s a show near you.
Gina Conroy used to think she knew where her life was headed; now she's leaning on the Lord to show her the way.  She is the founder of Writer...Interrupted  where she mentors busy writers and tries to keep things in perspective, knowing God's timing is perfect, even if she doesn't agree with it! ;) She is represented by Chip MacGregor of MacGregor Literary, and her first novella, Buried Deception, in the Cherry Blossom Capers Collection, releases from Barbour Publishing in January 2012. On her blog Defying Gravity and twitter she chronicles her triumphs and trials as she pursues her dreams while encouraging her family and others to chase after their own passions. Gina loves to connect with readers, and when she isn’t writing, teaching, or driving kids around, you can find her on Facebook and Twitter.


Book descriptions:
My Novella: Buried Deception
Mount Vernon archaeology intern and widow Samantha Steele wants to provide for her children without assistance from anyone. Security guard and ex-cop Nick Porter is haunted by his past and keeps his heart guarded. But when they discover an artifact at Mount Vernon is a fake, Nick and Samantha need to work together, set aside their stubbornness, and rely on each other or the results could be deadly. Will Samantha relinquish her control to a man she hardly knows? Can Nick learn to trust again? And will they both allow God to excavate their hearts so they can find new love?
Four townhouse neighbors encounter romance and mystery near our nation’s capital. In State Secrets, White House assistant chef Tara Whitley and FBI agent Jack Courtland stop a plot to sabotage a State dinner—and find love still hidden in their hearts. In Dying for Love, attorneys and opponents Ciara Turner and Daniel Evans uncover love while searching for justice. In Buried Deception, archaeologist Samantha Steele and security guard Nick Porter dig up love while uncovering a forged artifact.  In Coffee, Tea and Danger, amateur sleuths Susan Holland and Vince Martinelli find love while investigating a string of mysterious accidents.

2 comments:

Molly Noble Bull said...

We happy to welcome Gina Conroy to Writers Rest, a wonderful new talent in the field of fiction writing.
Molly

Gina Conroy said...

Thanks so much for having me!