Thursday, September 8, 2011

Simple Pleasures!


What's your favorite dessert?

When I write my stories, I notice that I habitually tap into the senses of smell and taste - especially taste! I've had a number of readers to say that they get hungry while reading my stories. I love writing about different foods, but I'm very passionate about sweets. I love eating them, describing them, making others crave a nice piece of buttery pound cake, or a dense slice of cherry-coated cheesecake with a graham cracker crust. I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes with you today. I've had at least two people tell me that this is the best pound cake they've ever eaten. It's simple and it's oh-so-good! When you bite into this pound cake, the tart lemon glaze is a stark contrast to the buttery lemony pound cake, and it'll just make you close your eyes and enjoy bite after bite! :-)

If you try this pound cake, let me know if you enjoyed it. I know I shared this recipe with one of my former co-workers and she said when she made it, it didn't taste as good as mine...not sure why?

So, what's your favorite dessert? Leave a comment and feel free to share the recipe with us!

~Cecelia Dowdy~

OLD FASHIONED LEMON POUND CAKE

1 ½ cups butter (3 sticks)
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Fresh lemon juice from one lemon (I use one of those bulb-shaped, cheap plastic juicers that people use for orange juice in order to juice my lemon. You get more juice that way. Be sure to remove any seeds. )
Grated lemon rind from one lemon
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup evaporated milk

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan. Beat butter in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add sugar ½ cup at a time, creaming well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, lemon extract, juice and rind. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir thoroughly after each addition. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 70 to 80 minutes. If cake is not done after 70-80 minutes, bake longer, until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes; remove from pan.

GLAZE:
Sift one cup of confectioners’ sugar into a bowl. Squeeze juice (or use a a juicer - mentioned above) of one lemon into a separate bowl. Remove seeds from the lemon juice. Mix lemon juice with confectioners’ sugar and drizzle over cooled cake.

Enjoy! :-)

5 comments:

Bethany R. Kaczmarek said...

There is nothing--Not. A. Thing--complicated about the cake my Mama baked for me every single birthday I lived in the US.

1 boxed mix of Devil's Food Cake, made as directed in two 8-inch cake pans. Cool completely, and slice in half to form four layers. (That's the hardest part.)

Mix one pint of heavy cream, gradually adding 1/2 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. Whip for three minutes or so, until it peaks.

Frost each layer, stick in four toothpicks to hold steady, and refrigerate, covered overnight.

The whipped cream soaks the chocolate cake into perfection. I guarantee it will be gone within half an hour of the first slice. (Unless you have a small crowd and/or uber-willpower).

Enjoy!

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Wow Bethany! Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try that! I especially find it interesting that you have to refrigerate the cake overnight!

~Cecelia Dowdy~

Bethanie said...

Cecelia, thanks for the lemon cake recipe! I haven't tried it yet but it sounds yummy. My favorite is cheese cake-so many varieties so little time. I don't have a recipe to share however I can direct you to a restaurant (Cheese Cake Factory). Their cakes are so good they ought to be illegal.

Cecelia said...

Actually, Bethanie, I've been to The Cheesecake Factory a number of times! I love their desserts! As a matter of fact, my story, Milk Money book #2 in the Chesapeake Weddings collection,
has a scene that takes place in The Cheesecake Factory. My hero and heroine are out on a date! :-)

~Cecelia Dowdy~

Molly Noble Bull said...

I'm not a cook in the true sense. I seldom even bake box cakes. Cakes and pies from scratch are out of my world. Nevertheless, I do love sweets. My all time favorite was my late mother's Pecan Pie. But I lost the recipe during our last move.
Sad.
Love,
Molly