Monday, October 18, 2010

On DVD -- PRIDE AND PREJUDICE -- More

by Molly Noble Bull
www.mollynoblebull.com

Four DVD Movies:
Are you a Jane Austen fan? I am. In fact, I have two movie versions of Pride and Prejudice and watched them every chance I get. I’ve also read Pride and Prejudice.
The movie version starring Colin Firth first came out as a mini series from A&E, and in my opinion, Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy. Still, the short version of Pride and Prejudice is worth seeing and stars Keira Knightley. Both are available on DVD.
The Bennet home in the A&E version is far grander than the Bennet house depicted in the Keira Knightley version, and since I never lived in that time period, I cannot say which of the two would be more authentic. In the Knightley version, the Bennets are somewhat messy and less prosperous, and the differences in these two DVD movies is especially interesting because it allows the viewer to see two completely different lifestyles during that point in British history.
Apparently, there are two other movie versions of Pride and Prejudice available on DVD that I have yet to see. The black and white version came out in 1940 and stars Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier, and the BBC version came out in 1980 starring Elizabeth Garvie.
Jane Austen died in 1817. Obviously, the novel was written before that date.
So what attracts others and me to Pride and Prejudice—a story written two hundred years ago? What keeps us reading that particular book and seeing movies based on it? Was I born in the wrong century? Or do I merely enjoy looking back at bygone days? If I knew the answer to those questions, maybe my books would be as popular as Jane’s.
I love movies that include the interiors of grand English mansions and country homes of that period as well as colorful pictures of the English countryside. All these movies have that, and three of them are in color.
So what am I planning to do this evening?
Order the 1980 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice and watch it as soon as I can. If you want to do the same, go to Amazon dot com, click on the pull-down, scroll to Movies and Tv and write Pride and Prejudice in the search slot. All the movies mention above should also be listed, and I can promise that the two I’ve seen are wonderful.
Please leave a comment at the end of this article, and join our Followers group to the right on the screen.

More:
I would like to introduce three published novelists who will also be writing articles for Writers Rest.

. Cecelia Dowdy:
Cecelia Dowdy is a Christian fiction author who enjoys reading wonderful Christian books. She's been writing for fifteen years and she's had five Christian romance novels published. She is married and has a five-year-old son and currently resides in Maryland, not far from Washington D.C. She loves reading the Word and also enjoys discussing the Bible and asking others questions about certain Bible verses. Baking delicious desserts is another one of her passions and she also enjoys listening to old tunes with my husband.
She runs a book blog where she mostly reviews Christian fiction titles. She occasionally discusses Biblical topics and shares recipes, too. Her blog is entitled My Christian Fiction Blog and the address is:
www.ceceliadowdy.blogspot.com
Her website address is:
www.ceceliadowdy.com

. Katy King:
Katy King is a romance writer who trained as a scientist, which makes for some really weird viewpoints. She grew up in the Baptist church and consequently spent a lot of time arguing with Sunday School teachers about whether or not Jesus drank wine (the old-style Baptists swear it was grape juice!) and wondering why God didn't send a little lava down on Lot when he and his two daughters got together up in those caves after God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.
When Katy entered college, she decided New Age religion was the way to go. By the time she left college, she met Molly Noble Bull and came to realize that, since her Baptist childhood had taught her what sin was, she was doomed never to develop the "Christ-consciousness" or become "One with the Universe," because she hated meditation and was obviously a "very young soul" who would never succeed in "elevating her consciousness" alone. In short, she was doomed to reincarnate until the universe pretty much ended, because that's about how long it would take.
Consequently, she decided she had better repent and get back with the Old Program, namely Bible-based Christianity. Though devout Christians, she and her husband keep up a constant study of New Age spirituality and other strange beliefs in order to warn others about the dangers of them.
Katy is published in magazines like Black Belt and Guideposts. Her first romance novel was a secular romance from Meteor Publishing called Storm Warning. Her second was The Cartwright Heritage from White Rose Press.

. Teresa Slack:
Teresa Slack quit work in 1999 to pursue her writing career full time. Since then she has written ten novels, five of which were published by Tsaba House. Her first novel, STREAMS OF MERCY, received the Bay Area Independent Publishers' Assn. award for "Best First Fiction". Her latest book, EVIDENCE OF GRACE, debuted nationwide at number 18, according to Christian Retailing Magazine.
Teresa loves to speak and teach to reading and writing groups alike about any writing related topic. She is currently working on the first installment of a new series, entitled UNLEASHED. Teresa lives in Ohio with her husband and two rescue dogs, all three of whom have been great inspiration for her novels. Learn more about Teresa and her writing at http://www.teresaslack.com or http://www.teresaslack.blogspot.com You can also keep up with her writing and personal life on Facebook and Twitter.

. Molly Noble Bull
Molly Noble Bull is married, the mother of three grown sons and a grandmother, and she was born in Kingsville, Texas, home of the famous King Ranch. Molly has published with Zondervan, Love Inspired-Steeple Hill and Tsaba House, and her two Zondervan novels also came out from Guideposts, the Book Division.
Molly entered three national contests for published authors, and her long historical, Sanctuary, won the 2008 Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence in the Inspiration category and tied for first place in the 2008 Winter Rose contest in the inspirational category.
All Molly’s novels are available at Amazon and Christianbook dot com, and her Steeple Hill historical, The Winter Pearl, is also available as a Kindle selection.

7 comments:

Jan Cline said...

I love Austin books. I have also seen several versions of Pride and Predudice and the one with Greer Garson is my favorite for sure. I think Ive seen it more than a dozen times!

Molly Noble Bull said...

Dear Jan,
Thanks for writing. The Greer Garson version of the movie is a version I've never seen, but now that I've heard from you, I think I will.
Love,
Molly

Jan Cline said...

You will love it. They don't make actors like they used to!

Teresa Slack said...

I finally watched the Colin Firth version last week. Sorry Molly, but the Greer Garson version is still my fave. She's the best Elizabeth Bennett, hands down. Not to mention her parents and Mr. Collins. He's a hoot in that version. You'll love it.

The story is a classic because we can all relate even after 200 years. We want happiness, love, passion, freedom to be ourselves, and honesty and sincerity from others. No matter how many years go by our hearts' desire remains the same.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Dear Jan and Teresa,
Thanks for writing.
I still haven't seen the Greer Garson version of Pride and Prejudice. I went to Amazon and was going to order it, but first I read some of the reviews. Everybody loved the movie, but some said the actually movie was in bad shape. The mouths didn't go with the sound, etc. The reviewer suggested we wait and buy it when they came out with a better copy.
But maybe I will take a change and go on and order it after all.
Love,
Molly

Jemi Fraser said...

I tried reading some Austen books years ago. I didn't enjoy them - so many people do I have to give them another shot!

Molly Noble Bull said...

Dear Jemi,
Thanks for writing.
If you are like me, seeing one or more of the movies first will cause you to enjoy the book even more. I saw two of the movies before I ever read the book.
And I have to say that knowing what was going to happen in the story didn't decrease my interest in reading it one bit. In fact, seeing the movies made me want to keep reading more than I might have otherwise.
Love,
Molly