Sunday, January 31, 2010

Movies On DVD You Might Like

By Molly Noble Bull
www.mollynoblebull.com

I thought I would give you a list of movies you might like that you can rent on DVD. At least, I liked them. Some of these movies take place in modern times, and some are historical. I haven't listed them in the order I liked best because I liked all of them. However, I do love movies taken from Jane Austen's books. I put an H in front of the historical movies.
So, let’s get started.

H. The Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth. (From a novel by Jane Austen, this version was a mini series; so it is very long but worth watching.)

H. The Pride and Prejudice (short version -- 2 hours and nine minutes) starring Keira Knightley.
I have both versions and watch them again and again fairly often. You will see the difference when you view them.

H. Emma starring Gwyneth Paltrow (Jane Austen)

. While You Were Sleeping starring Sandra Bullock (Loved this movie.)

. Miss Congeniality starring Sandra Bullock

H. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

H. The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott

. Kate and Leopold starring Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman

H. Middlemarch by George Eliot (I liked this movie least of all the movies listed, but it was okay.)

. Never Been Kissed starring Drew Barrymore

H. The Scarlet Pimpernel starring Jane Seymour

If you would like to read all my articles on ranch life, including old photographs, go to Bustles and Spurs and scroll down—down—down until you see Molly Noble Bull (10) Click there. If you don’t see the (10), you haven’t scrolled down enough. Here is the blog address.
http://bustlesandspurs.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

My wife and I watched nearly every film version of Pride and Prejudice this past summer. We liked them all, although I was most disappointed in the most recent version. The lengthy made for TV versions were truest to the book. But our absolute favorite, which actually made me reevaluate the book and appreciate it more, was the 1940 black and white version. Every role was cast to perfection and Laurence Olivier was a superb Mr Darcy.

Deborah said...

I've watched 3 different versions of the Scarlett Pimpernel, but haven't seen one with Jane Seymour. I'll have to find it...I love this story!

Molly Noble Bull said...

As you might have guessed, I love historical novels and movies. But I like modern stories, too, as long as they are free of cursing and/or bedroom scenes.
Love,
Molly

Carolyn V. said...

I love the Scarlet P w/ Jane S. It's one of my favorites. Good choice. =)

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for writing everybody, and stay tuned. I will soon give a review of a historical movie that I didn't like.
Love,
Molly

Unknown said...

I confess - I'm a movie addict. And if it's a good historical romance, I'm hooked. I, too, love "Kate and Leopold" and watch it over and over.

Love, love, love "Age of Innocence" - such good writing.

"Somewhere In Time" is one of my all-time favorites.

In the non-historical category, I agree with "Miss Congeniality." And I loved Sandra Bullock in "Time To Kill." Just heard this morning that she is up for an Oscar nomination for "The Blind Side." (BTW, our grandson auditioned for the part of SJ. He would have been perfect! :)

I'm going to check out "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with Jane Seymour.

Fun post, Molly!

Teresa Slack said...

I agree with Arlee Bird. I got the Greer Garson B&W version for Christmas and it is as funny and wonderful as I remember. Keira Knightley gives me a headache. And the modern version of Mr. Collins. Yuck!! Colin Firth is good but even he can't make up for the flaws in that film.

Thanks for recommending Kate and Leopold to me. It was everything you said. What do you think of Tess of the D'urbervilles? I saw a version years ago on A&E I think. Don't know who did it, but I loved it. Anyone know what I'm talking about.