Tuesday, January 20, 2009

God of the Harvest and of rest

Tuesdays with Tiffany
by Tiffany Colter

As writers we are on a constant path of self-discovery. We wonder what it is that makes us tick. I do this quite a bit when I'm in moments of quiet. Last week I was spending time reading my Bible when I came across this verse:

"Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest." (Exodus 34:21, NIV)

It is tempting as authors to work ourselves silly once we finally come in to a season of harvest. It is not enough to sell a book, we want a 3 book deal. We sell an article and suddenly start writing articles every day imagining that we will finally make a living that way.

God was prepared for us. He said, even when we are in a time of plenty I want you to rest. That means in a time of lack we ware to rest as well.

I realized that I was seeing so much success with my writing and the Writing Career Coach that I wasn't taking the time I needed to rest. I saw my productivity go down dramatically and my stress level go up.

It goes back to trust. Do we trust God with our time enough to believe that we will have enough time to get stuff done with a day of rest?

When God wrote this he was preparing people to enter the promised land. If this is how God prepares those he's about to bless, I want to be on board.

Tiffany Colter is a writer, speaker and writing career coach who works with beginner to published writers. She can be reached through her website at www.WritingCareerCoach.com
Learn more about Tiffany's Marketing techniques on her main blog.
Read Tiffany's award winning manuscript "A Face in the Shadow" on her fiction blog.
She writes a blog for the Christian writer Tuesdays at Writer's Rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O Gosh. I feel so guilty after I read this posts. Thank you for the post. Have a great day!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Tiffany -

I've given Writers' Rest the Premio-Dardas award. The details will be listed on my blog Friday, 1/23/09.

Writers' Rest is a regular stop on my daily blogging tour. Thanks for your faithfulness to bring great articles.

Blessings,
Susan :)