Monday, October 22, 2007

Worry, fear, doubt...

When Cathy first mentioned this blog idea, I knew it was something I wanted to be a part of. Then when I found out, I'd have the first post, I thought, no pressure. 8) Then, Cathy broke the ice with Friday Free For All. She posted a recipe involving chocolate. How can I compete with that?

Now I say this in jest, but the truth is, writers are often faced with worry, fear, doubt. What if I can't finish this story? What if I think this novel I wrote is pretty good, but everyone else thinks it's awful? What if I never get published?


"But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42 NASB

This passage has been written about quite a bit and there's a reason for that. BECAUSE WE FRET! We give up our peace and we play the what if game. Only one thing is necessary! Sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to Him teach. That's it.

Keep your focus on Jesus and let Him bring about what He has planned. It may be the words you are writing are meant for you and you alone. Or maybe for your critique partner. Maybe for the agent or editor. Maybe for many readers. Or maybe for Jesus. And that's all that matters. Writing for Jesus.

Quick Exercise:
Take a moment and substitute your name for Martha's. Then lay the fears, the worry, the doubts down.

Next, substitute your name for Mary's. Now choose to sit at His feet and soak in His words. Choose the good part. Rest in knowing you are right where God wants you.

It's not easy. Nothing about this walk in faith is easy. But it is GOOD.

Today is Monday Mission Impossible, but I say nothing is impossible for our God. Share what seems impossible in your life and let's give them to God in prayer.

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20 NASB

Audra

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good reminder, Audra.

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Worry? Fear? Doubt?

Me?

Never!

And I also get mistaken for Catherine Zeta-Jones on a daily basis.

In other words, um... "yeah, right."

Preach it, girlfriend! Such a powerful word this morning. Thanks for your insight.

Leigh said...

Thanks, Audra! I'm soooo Martha, even though I really want to be Mary.

The interesting thing for me is that Martha wasn't doing BAD stuff -- she was just doing the WRONG stuff at the moment. I do the same thing all the time, keeping busy with lots of things that are good, but might not be the right thing for me at the moment. Just another lesson to keep learning ...

Catherine West said...

Okay, so we're supposed to be sharing our prayer concerns...right now I'm sitting in the waiting room as far as my writing goes. I have a few prospects for Yesterday's Tomorrow, and I'm waiting to hear back. I am praying for God to bring me the right agent, and the right publisher, if it be His will. I also need prayer for patience as I wait, and inspiration as I work on other things! Personally, we're traveling on Saturday to see my daughter, so prayers would be appreciated for safe travel in the air and on the roads, and for an awesome family time together. I can't wait to see her!!
I'd love to pray for you all - what are your needs?

Leigh said...

My main prayer need in the writing world today is for my devotional book. I have 2 weeks until deadline so am really feeling some pressure. I keep planning for uninterrupted writing times, but then life and other (ie, paying) work keep getting in the way. I would appreciate prayers for focus (ie, fight off those Martha distractions) and that I'll write the words God wants to share with these girls (ie, I'll listen like Mary).

Thanks so much -- and I'll be praying for y'all too.

Rachelle said...

Nice thoughts, thanks! I like to think there is a time for everything... I definitely have my Mary moments and my Martha moments.

Betsy St. Amant said...

Thanks for sharing, Audra. Great post!!!