Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Free For All!

Okay, if I'm getting bored coming back here with nothing new to look at, I'm sure you all are too.
Technically speaking, we'll be up and running with the regular schedule starting Monday. However, for today,
I have something wonderful to share.
You're so going to thank me for this.
I will accept cash, fresh flowers or a publishing contract.

Martha Stewart I'm not, but I can get away with a few miracles in the kitchen. This is one of them. The recipe I'm about to reveal has been known to make grown men weep and have the most tenacious teenager purring at your feet like a kitten. You might even get a full sentence out of them. (the men or the teen? You decide). It's a great bargaining chip too.
I do have to say though, I think the secret is in the Bermuda bananas. If you have to use those Chiquita or Dole things, well, I just can't guarentee success. And yes, since you asked, this does include chocolate. What? It's a writers blog for crying out loud!

Ready?
Here you go...

Cathy's Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.

1 3/4C Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/3 Cup Shortening
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 eggs well beaten
1 Cup mashed bananas
Chocolate Chips - totally up to you, I usually use about half a regular size bag, Toll House or whatever. And maybe a little extra banana mash too. Yes, I am the Queen of Improvisation.
That said, here's what I do. Chuck it all in a big bowl and turn on the electric mixer and mix until there's no chunks.
If you must do it the proper way, have at it:

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Beat shortening until creamy in mixing bowl. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with bananas a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Turn into a well-greased bread pan and bake in a moderate oven at 350 degrees about 1 hour 10 min or until bread is done. (DUH)

If you seriously have time to do it that way, please come to my house I have many jobs for you to do...
Chuck it and run kiddos...

Happy Baking! Let me know how it turns out!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Nothing like starting the weekend with chocolate .. maybe that should be a Friday tradition for us! I have all sorts of yummy chocolate recipes (never know when I'll need a boost to get through that next paragraph!).

Catherine West said...

oh yeah! Sounds like a plan!! As long as it's not too late at night so I don't get a headache...!

Betsy St. Amant said...

Sounds delicious!!

Catherine West said...

It is SOO good, Bets!! It should actually be illegal...