Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Valley of Praise!

In the midst of all our struggles, the daily battles of discouragement that we as writers face, we sometimes forget that our primary purpose in life is to glorify God. The Bible speaks much of praise, but perhaps the most unusual scenario is shown in 2 Chronicles 20. Israel's enemies were camped around them, and it seemed like a time to gather the weapons of war. Instead, Jehoshaphat went to meet his enemies knowing that the battle had already been won:

"After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the LORD and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying:
"Give thanks to the LORD,
for his love endures forever.
"As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated . . . So Jehoshaphat and his men went to carry off their plunder, and they found among them a great amount of equipment and clothing and also articles of value—more than they could take away. There was so much plunder that it took three days to collect it. On the fourth day they assembled in the Valley of Beracah, where they praised the LORD. This is why it is called the Valley of Beracah to this day."

Wednesday Wonders is our Valley of Praise. Here we come to share with each other that God's love endures forever. As Jehoshaphat showed, praise is not only based upon past events, but on future hope. So let's share our praises with each other, and give thanks to the Lord because his love endures forever.

What do you have to praise the Lord for today?

2 comments:

Catherine West said...

I want to praise God for the ways in which He confirms to me that I'm on the right path. I praise Him for the wonderful times I had at the ACFW conference, all the great teaching and good times with friends new and old. What a blessing to be in such a fellowship and receive such encouragement from a variety of sources. I was greatly encouraged in my writing journey during this time, and I felt God definitely affirming to me that I am where He wants me. I know He is doing a good work in me and He will be faithful to complete it. I continually pray for patience and strength to stay the course. Being a part of ACFW really helps me do that.

Leigh said...

I have to praise God today for the help He's given on my devotional book during the past week -- the words are flowing and the ideas are coming together, which is great. That's always an exciting but humbling place to be. I praise Him for moving some other things out of the way temporarily so I can finish this manuscript. And because I know He'll stick with me until I turn it in!

I praise Him for all the writers He has brought into my life and all the things I've learned from them. Each of us has something special to share.

On a personal note, I must praise Him and thank Him for the rain we've had in the past week. We're in a severe drought so every drop is a tremendous blessing!