Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Wednesday Wonders ... aware of the Lord

Genesis chapter 28 tells of Jacob leaving his family to travel to Paddan Aram in search of a wife. One night during that journey, he dreamed of a staircase resting on earth and stretching up to heaven, with angels ascending and descending on it. The Lord stood above the staircase, and spoke to Jacob: He confirmed that He was the God of Abraham and Isaac and that He would go with Jacob and watch over him. “I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you,” God said (Genesis 28:15b).

The next verse says that when Jacob awoke, he thought, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.”

How many times are we the same way? I’m often guilty of zooming through my days without paying as close attention to things as I should. I’m too worried about getting the kids on the bus ... running all my errands ... figuring out a way past writer’s block ... knocking out a deadline.

So today, for Wednesday Wonders, let’s look beneath the surface. In what ways is God around you, even when you’re not aware of it?

Here are a few from my corner of the world:

-- The leaves on the maple trees in our neighborhood as they change from green to goldish to flaming red

-- When my children wake up on their own in happy moods instead of grumpy because I’ve had to pull them from sweet dreams

-- The breeze that whispers against my face

-- The increase in my productivity when I ask Him to guide my writing

-- That extra ounce of patience that miraculously surfaces when I’m at the end of my rope

-- The song on the radio that has exactly the message I need to hear

God is all around us every day, in big and small ways. Take time to look for Him in places you might not ordinarily think of Him being – and you’ll find Him there.


Thank you, Lord, for blessing us with your presence even when we don’t realize it. Open our eyes and hearts in new ways to see you all around us – wherever we are and whatever we’re doing. Help us be aware of your glory. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Catherine West said...

I live on a beautiful tropical island. I know this will shock you, but I rarely go to the beach.
It's only when we have visitors and I'm touring them around and of course being dragged to the beach by them, that I truly realize how awesome this place is.
So, I guess I need some more visitors to give me another reminder.
Any takers?