Monday, November 19, 2007

"Every Good Thing...

...and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights." James 1:17

Top ten things I'm thankful for right now, in random order:

1) The kissable curve of my son's cheek. I'm addicted.

2) Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves- they are the color, flavor and scent of fall. (Have you ever gotten the dust of spices on your hands and rubbed it between your fingers? They feel luxuriant - heavier than their weight. I can see why past civilizations traded spice as currency.)

3) God's favor- given without regard to desert, given wholly. I am the woman reaching out to touch the hem of his garment, desperate for mercy.

4) Nat King Cole- the Christmas Song album- audible chocolate.

5) The shape of trees when all the leaves fall off.

6) Imagination- the incubator of compassion and wonder. The furnace of curiosity. (Thank you, Father, for sharing Your imagination!)

7) The sparkle in my daughter's dark eyes when we make up stories together.

8) Thanksgiving leftovers.

9) God's gentle intervention in my short-sighted plans. He reminds me that He is wise and good, and He has eternal ends in mind.

10) Books, of course. Books, books, books. We are lavishly rich with them!

What about you??

4 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

I'm so thankful for friends. Writer friends who 'get it', and non writer friends to remind me there is a whole other world than the one in my head.

Betsy St. Amant said...

Lovely list! And yes, Owen's cheeks are too adorable!! hehe =)

I'm thankful for friends as well, Erica said that wonderfully!!!

I'm adding to the list M&Ms, which I am currently eating, the wonder of pregnancy, and the consistent, sometimes nearly tangible presence of my Saviour in the moments I need Him most. His grace and mercy truly is sufficient.

Lori said...

Amen, girls!

Lydia said...

Not in any special order:

1. The smell of fresh air that lingers on clothing after you come in from the cold.
2. Motherhood in all of its stages. My boys are grown, and I miss the "addictive curve of little cheeks", but I love the sound of their cheerful, affectionate voices over the phone, saying, "Hi Mom!". Truly cold water to a thirsty soul.
3. The friendship of my husband, and the fact that he appreciates me, even when I'm feeling nasty or dinner is nothing but sandwiches. :)
4. Everything about my Savior, ditto to what Lori & Betsy said, plus the privilege of coming to Him in prayer. Boy when He delivers out of a difficult situation, you just want to burst w/joy!
5. The variety in His creation--that there's a million variations of everything from hues to people to experiences to words.
6. The cheapness & availability of paper & books. (Can't imagine what it was like in ancient times!).
7. Always the love of my birth family and friends.
8. The smell of freshly ground & brewed coffee
9. Utilities (indoor plumbing, heat, & electricity).
10. Athens' shining new, inexpensive metro system.