Friday, November 16, 2007

Creativity Breeds Creativity

Does writing weigh you down at times? Maybe you're wrestling with the critic inside and you're losing. Maybe you've edited until your eyes are crossed and you fear it may be a permanent situation. Or maybe you've had deadlines breathing down your neck until you resemble the hunchback.

It may be time to recharge the creative battery. Step back from your work and give yourself permission to seek out a different outlet. Paint a picture. Make a card. Bead a necklace. Bake a pie. Color in a coloring book.

What you create doesn't matter and neither does the final project. Give yourself permission to experiment and play. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Touch your senses with colors, textures, smells, tastes and sounds.

When you come back to your work, you will have a fresh perspective and your sensory feast will reflect in your writing.

3 comments:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I used to love to cross stitch but haven't done it in a loooong time. But it was relaxing. I also love to scrapbook, which I also haven't done in a loooong time. My pictures are piling up higher than the three-foot- tall case on wheels in which I keep all of my stickers and accessories. Ugh. Maybe if I took some time to do as you suggest, I would get more motivated to go to town on my novel. Thanks for the push. I may be digging into those pictures or scouring through my cross-stitch books this weekend. :-)

Audra Marie said...

Have fun! I bet once you tap into a different type of creativity, you'll find yourself ready to get back into your novel with renewed energy. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah. If I tapped into my cross-stitching creativity, I'd be high-tailing it back to writing. If I ever get frustrated with revisions, I guess one way to be thankful to be doing them is to tell myself it's either that or sewing. Or knitting. Or anything with thread that can get tangled and needles that can poke me. :-)