Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Writing With Sticks and Stones

by Molly Noble Bull

We have all heard the saying. Sticks and stones may break my bones. But words will never hurt me.
But is this a true statement? Do words hurt?
The answer is yes. Words spoken in anger and sarcasm hurt. Sometimes our words harm others when that is the last thing we want to do.
But did you know that words also heal?
When I sit down to write an email to someone, I begin by writing out all the important things I want to say in my message. Or I reply to what someone else has said by putting in my two cents. Sometimes I present a need and ask for prayer. At other times I simply report what I consider to be important facts that I read about or heard on the news.
Let us say that today I want to report something that I heard on the news. My message might sound like this.

Dear Sally,
Be sure to tune in to the Fox News Channel tonight at seven central time. They are going to interview a doctor who once preformed abortions but is now pro-life.
Love,
Molly

Now I am ready to check for mistakes in spelling and send my message.

Often, at this point, the Lord steps in and reminds me to say something personal to Sally, the one who will be receiving my message. In other words, it’s time to send my words of healing. It is at this point that I go back and write something between "Dear Sally" and "Be sure to tune in--." This is when I write in something that may be pleasing or helpful.
Sally might not be able to watch the Fox News Channel that night. She might have a previous engagement or not be especially interested in the topic I mentioned. But everybody needs words of encouragement.
Here is a sample of what I might then write to Sally.

Dear Sally,
Good morning.
I was so glad to hear that your daughter placed in that swimming match she entered last week. Tell her I said to keep up the good work.
And please know that I will be praying for you when you go in to have your Mammogram on Friday. Since I always pray in the name of Jesus, I think that means that Jesus will be praying for you, too.
You might want to tune in to the Fox News Channel tonight at seven central time. They are going to interview a doctor who once preformed abortions but is now pro-life.
Love,
Molly

NOTE:
When you tell someone you will be praying for them, be sure to pray. To do otherwise would mean you were telling a lie. What I often do is pray for the person a head of time. That way, instead of saying "I will be praying for you," I say, "I just prayed for you."
www.mollynoblebull.com

1 comment:

Catherine West said...

Great thoughts, Molly! Thanks for sharing.