Monday, April 14, 2008

Apprehended!

Some friends and I went to Beth Moore’s Living Proof Live conference in Jacksonville, Fl. a couple of weeks ago. It was a time for fun and refreshment, but we actually learned a few things along the way, too.

One thing I love about Beth’s Bible studies and teachings is that she often digs into the Greek or Hebrew meanings of passages and explains where our current translations originated. She did that quite a bit with the passage she taught that weekend, Philippians 3. She touched on things within the whole chapter, but especially focused on verses 12-14 about pressing toward the goals – and the prize – that Christ has laid out for us.

Part of verse 12 reads, “I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Here’s part of what I loved from Beth’s lesson: the original Greek word that many translations (such as the NIV) record as “take hold” is katalambano – which means “to take eagerly, to seize, possess, apprehend, perceive, (over)take.” The King James translation actually reads “I follow after, if that I might apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.”

Doesn’t a word like “apprehend” sound much more deliberate than something like “possess” or “take hold”? Gets your attention, doesn't it? Webster says “apprehend” means things like “to take into custody, capture or arrest.” To me, using a word like “apprehend” is much more action oriented and shows that Christ doesn’t just claim us – He claims and captures us for a particular reason!

Still with me? I hope so, because here’s the tie-in with writing (I know … finally!). If you’re reading this blog, chances are you’re interested in writing for the Christian market. Well, guess what? You don’t have all those plots, characters and interesting tidbits floating around in your mind for no reason. You don’t overhear snatches of conversation at the grocery store and find ways to weave them into your novel just because you’re bored. You have these things because God has given them to you. But He didn’t give them to you just to keep to yourself in your imaginary mind world. He gave them to you because He wants you to share them with others!

Christ has apprehended you to write His words and tell His message. How cool is that?! He has certain messages for you to write, but probably also has certain audiences in mind for you to reach. I love writing for women and speaking to women’s groups, but also have a special place in my heart for middle school girls (which probably goes back to my own memories of how hard that time in life was for me). I believe God calls me to write and speak to them – which I take even more seriously than my writing or speaking for women, because pre-teen and teenage girls are in such an impressionable phase of life. I teach upper elementary and middle grades Sunday school, have taught Bible studies for middle school girls, and have 2 devotional books for that age coming out this year. And although I’m currently working on a novel for women, I know I’ll go back to writing for girls at some point – God just won’t let me let go of them.

So what about you? What audience has Christ captured your heart for? Who has He apprehended you to write for in a way no one else can? The inspirational market covers all genres and age groups, and they’re all important. Let’s start the week by sharing stories about who God is calling us to write for and why we think He’s blessed us with that calling.

Have a beautiful week!
Leigh

1 comment:

Molly Noble Bull said...

Great article, Leigh, as all yours are.
Love,
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com