Monday, April 7, 2008

Season's Change

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV)


It’s becoming clearer that it’s spring. At least, in my neck of the woods. The temperature is warmer, the trees are starting to look healthy again, even a flower has popped up here and there.

A new season has begun.

In a way, a new season has begun with my writing, too. In January, an opportunity plopped into my lap which allowed me to quit my job to stay home and write. This is something I’ve always wanted to do. I mean, what writer doesn’t dream of sitting in front of the computer all day getting paid to do what he or she loves to do? Now, when people ask me what I do, I can say without hesitation, “I am a freelance writer.”

My job consists of different assignments – ghostwriting web content, writing monthly newsletters, conducting author interviews, and moderating two separate forum communities. I am so grateful to God for providing me with all of these wonderful opportunities to earn money for my family. And not for one second do I ever regret my decision to quit my job. I love what I do!!!

But…my freelance work keeps me extremely busy. On the surface, this is great! But, unfortunately, it doesn’t leave much time for my first love…fiction.

I entered two manuscripts in the Genesis contest. Of course, I am hoping I final and the results should be announced soon. Since neither novel is finished, I am itching to work on them. I want so badly to have an extra couple days per week to work exclusively on my novels. I want to lose myself in my stories and simply create. I want to spend more time on the ACFW loop. I long to join another critique group. I want to write fiction!

But, for now, a new season has begun.

This season, I am freelancing to make money for my family. I may squeeze in twenty minutes here or there to work on my novels (and I'll take that!). However, at that rate, it will be a long time before I type, “The end” on either of them.

Looking out my window today reminds me that season’s change. And before I know it, the time will come when my season of freelancing will fade and the season for writing fiction again – regularly, anyway - will begin to appear.

Today, my prayer for you is that whatever season you’re in, you’ll find beauty.

1 comment:

Molly Noble Bull said...

Good article, Lynda.
Love,
Molly