Monday, January 14, 2008

Self-defeating Behaviors

Procrastination. Perfectionism. Fear of failure. Fear of success. Laziness. These are a few of the self-defeating behaviors we all struggle with (and if you don't, please leave me with my delusions lol).

Yet, as Christians, we are to live a victorious life. So how do we handle these behaviors that have ingrained themselves in our lives?

We come against it with natural solutions and spiritual fortitude.

In the natural we learn how to fight with tickler files, planners, even timers. We may take a class like the one I'm currently enrolled in (Margie Lawson's Defeat Self-Defeating Behaviors). We fight by putting a system in place.

This is all great (and has an important place), but I believe the real power lies in taking our struggle to the cross. Daily. Sometimes moment by moment on those especially tough days. As soon as that ugly behavior rears up, we need to give it to God and ask Him to give us the victory. In essence, we choose to deal it a swift blow.

We also need to strengthen ourselves by meditating on scriptures to counteract our weak areas. Fight fear with scriptures on fear:
"I sought the LORD, and He answered me,And delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

Feeling lazy?
"Laziness casts into a deep sleep, And an idle man will suffer hunger."
Proverbs 19:15

Want the victory?
"but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
I Corinthians 15:57


Stand on the Word of God and hold fast against self-defeating behaviors. You have been given the power to change from defeat to victory. It's time to use it.

What self-defeating behaviors have you allowed to take hold in your life? Do you have tools in the natural and a spiritual arsenal at the ready?

I challenge you to find a scripture or two that speak to your area of defeat and meditate on them. Put them where you will see them and then stand strong in faith that God will help you overcome. Choose only one or two self-defeating behaviors to focus on at a time.

If you do this, by the time 2008 is over, you will have memorized scripture, found victory over your weaknesses and strengthened your faith. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I'd love for you to share your self-defeating behaviors, and whether or not you're up to my challenge.

I'll go first:
Self-defeating behaviors: procrastination, laziness, fear of failure and success, poor time management, lack of focus/direction - but enough about me lol. Yes, I am most definitely going to take myself up on my own challenge.

Who's next?

2 comments:

Catherine West said...

Procrastination. Too much time on the internet and not enough time in the Word. I am easily distracted and lack discipline. And I have little patience! So I'm trying to hold to Isaiah 40:28-31

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired
His understanding is inscrutable.
29He gives strength to the weary,
And to him who lacks might He increases power.
30 Though )youths grow weary and tired,
And vigorous young men stumble badly,
31Yet those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.

Audra Marie said...

Great and inspiring scripture. :)