Sunday, June 1, 2008

Whew! A needed day of rest!



After months of planning, my oldest son was the second wedding this year...after the 3 graduations and the December wedding of my second son.

Our family is kicked back this afternoon- resting a much needed down day!

I'm so glad we don't have celebrations, holidays, and ceremonies every day- like the little kids who wish every day was Christmas. It really helps to have the hills and the valleys. I don't think people can appreciate the days of rest more than when they've been rushing through the busy preparations. And as weird as it sounds, I can look back on this crazy year and understand that watching the joy on my son's face was worth the rough patches we had to live through over the years.

Those high moments are worth the hard times I watched him go through on his way to adulthood. Every mother knows that she cannot do for her child all those moments when they have to learn the hard way. But she wishes she could. Every mother knows her time is limited and that one day, she must let go.

It's an awesome bittersweet moment to hand a son over to his wife. It's an awesome moment to gain a daughter.

It's an intense split-second when a mother realizes she is looking at the future mother of her grandchildren-and that the next breath is a breath of that closer future. That this new young woman will experience the enormity of how I felt as she bears my lineage and nurtures the next generation.

All that wonder and amazement. All that emotion for so many years of nurture. All tied up in a ceremony celebrating the culmination of childhood and the beginning of a new branch in the family tree.

Yes, today is a day to rest. It's a day to lay down that emotion and absorb the anticipation of the future.

How long has it been since you've allowed yourself to simply absorb your busy life changes?

Angie
Please visit me over at God uses broken vessels

3 comments:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

A beautiful pic, Angie! Congratulations on surviving the last year!
My kids are still young enough that I'm their chauffer, caregiver, coach, mentor, nutritionist, ..., so, Yes, it's been a long time since I've taken a moment to reflect. I will have to make moments for this!

Thanks for sharing!

Molly Noble Bull said...

Great looking son you have there. Pretty bride, too.
Love,
Molly
www.mollynoblebull.com

AngBreidenbach said...

Thanks ladies! I'm so glad they made it back safe from the honeymoon. We got to look at proofs today!
Angie