Monday, June 2, 2008

Other Plans


Mission Possible Monday
by Carla Gade

Every bloggers nightmare . . . internet down! Last night I was finishing up an entry for today's Mission Possible Monday theme and yes, every writer's horror, the happy little lights on my modem started dancing. I wasn't - happy or dancing. I finally gave it up and hoped for a brighter tomorrow.

Tomorrow came and still no internet and for me that also means no broadband phone service. So where am I going with this you ask? That's what I wanted to know. I had to get in touch with my ISP. Grateful that my husband forgot to take his work cell phone with him today, I wondered how his day was going.

Hands tied and waiting for our technical issues to get resolved, I took a little walk. To the mailbox. Maybe there I would find some contact with the outside world. Sure enough the mail had come, although it was only a bill for my son. No, I already paid for him. It was an invoice my son owed. At least it wasn't for me, things were already looking up.

I used to live on a busy corner with no trees in my yard at all. All my inspiration for writing had to be mustered up as I traversed the world wide web. I soon became subject to RWS (reclusive writer syndrome). Although this was acceptable to some degree for a time; it made my world much smaller, especially here in rural Maine. This was so frustrating for me as I am really an outdoor girl. As soon as the Lord opened a door for a new home for our family we were outa there! I had been praying for some time to live out in the country with a yard with trees! It meant so much to me, I just had to ask.




Today, as I headed down our long tree-lined driveway, I was bathed in a brisk cool breeze. I uttered aloud a spontaneous response to God's amazing creation, "Infuse me with your spirit Lord."

A little while later, I grabbed my camera and decided to capture some of the moments I was enjoying on this beautiful spring day. I only wish I could have captured the sounds, as well. The rustling of the breeze through the leaves, a feathered choir singing in the treetops, the whispers of God sharing secrets with my soul. But that's what words are for.

I stood by the fence enjoying the horses on our property. They were grazing. Taking in nourishment. And I, too, was receiving unexpected nourishment for my spirit. Basking in the warm sun, I soon felt tiny droplets of rain sprinkling down on me. A sun shower. A Son shower.


Jesus, thank you for this precious time with you today.
It wasn't what I planned, but you had a plan for me.



To Consider:

Sometimes we need to step away, change our environment, change our pace to be infused with new material to write. Are you receptive to the "other plans" that happen in your life? Do you realize that they are new opportunities for you to find writing inspiration?

Go to that place. Bring the Lord along. Describe what you hear, what you see, what you feel.

We need to be filled in order for the words to flow freely.

What nourishes your soul?

“In his heart a man plans his course
but the Lord determines his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9


Carla Gade is an aspiring writer, avid reader, adult literacy tutor, and website developer. She is the Program Coordinator for a Literacy Volunteers organization and is active in women's ministries. Carla writes inspirational fiction and non-fiction. Visit her online at Carla's Pathways ~ Journaling the Journey.










5 comments:

Catherine West said...

Very inspirational, thanks, Carla!
Glad your internet is back though, I know what that's like!

Carla Gade said...

Thank you, Cathy. It is good to be connected again, though the respit without it was nice.

Carla Gade said...

I asked my son what nourishes his soul . . .

Stepping through a field layed with lively green blades that cut not flesh, but ties to the perpetual obligations toward a bitter-sweet adult life.

Yes, he too, is a writer at heart.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Carla, thanks for sharing in such a wonderful way. To this day, I will always consider camp fires as major nourishment for my soul. There's nothing like sitting around a blazing fire singing praise songs and feeling His presence in each note! I think I need to build a fire in our firepit soon!

groovyoldlady said...

Aha! THAT's what God is doing right now; changing my environment and my pace to infuse me with new writing ideas. I get it now!

Now I just have to wait on the down time so I can actually write!

Great article, Carla!