Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The No-Spin Zone

by
Molly Noble Bull
www.mollynoblebull.com

I told myself that I was not going to add anything more to the Sweet or Sexy thread. I am contracted to write two more long historical novels in the Faith of Our Fathers series, and the sequel to Sanctuary isn’t finished because I had to write two other books first. At the same time, there is more I want to say.
WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE “NO SPIN” ZONE.
Before inspirational novels were available, I read a lot of sweet secular romance novels. I especially liked the cute and funny Regencies. No sex scenes, no petting scenes and plenty of romance. I couldn’t get enough of them and read about six or seven short novels a week.
But all at once the line I was reading also put out novels that contained the very elements I didn’t want to read. Therefore, I couldn’t tell which novels in the series I was going to like and which I was going to dump.
For a while, I played games with myself. I would read along and if the scene seemed to be going in a direction I didn’t like, I simply skipped the next few pages. Trouble was, I never knew how many pages to skip. Often I found myself in the middle of a second by second account of a situation I didn’t want to read about. At other times, I accidentally read a scene I didn’t want to read. At those times, I would mentally rewrite the scene.
He didn’t really touch her breast, he invited her to go on a foxhunt.
After a while, I got tired of skipping pages. By the time I took out everything I didn’t care to read, a two hundred-page book became a twenty-page hop-skip-and jump. And I was tired of creating scenes in novels that didn’t exist. If I was going to do that, I might as well write the entire novel. So that is what I did.
And I stopped reading secular novels. Seven books a week became maybe one novel a month—if that many.
If any editors are reading this, I hope that consider my conclusions.
A romance line for readers like me must be true to my reading interests at all times. I don’t have money to toss on the “maybe this book is what I want to read” pile. I want to know for sure that I am getting what I paid for. No exceptions.
If inspirational romance lines want to put out books that some readers will object to reading, put a product warning on the cover.
THIS NOVEL MIGHT BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME READERS.
Otherwise, readers like me won’t buy their books.
I am going to say good-bye for now and start working on my novel.
And remember, the spin stops here.
Love,
Molly

Sanctuary by Molly Noble Bull is available at most online bookstores like Amazon and Christianbook.com. Just write Molly Noble Bull in the search slot. Or ask for books by Molly Noble Bull at any walk-in bookstore.

No comments: