Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mae Nunn, author of Lone Star Courtship

by Molly Noble Bull
www.mollynoblebull.com

Today I am interviewing my very good friend, Mae Nunn. Originally from Houston, Mae lives in Atlanta, Georgia with her husband Michael. Mae and I are members of American Christian Fiction Writers, a national organization geared toward meeting the networking and educational needs of Christian authors.

Molly: Welcome to Books That Inspire, Mae.
Mae: Thank you so much for inviting me, Molly. I especially love opportunities to connect with readers in my home state where they especially identify with my series.
Molly: Speaking of your series, you write stories set in Texas, don’t you?
Mae: Yes, I do. The fourth book in my Texas Treasures series was released in May 2008. Lone Star Courtship is set in Galveston. When a stuffy English lawyer butts head with a determined American businesswoman he finds Camelot in the last place he ever expected. Texas!
Molly: That sounds like a fun premise. How long have you been writing?
Mae: I sold my first book to Steeple Hill in 2003. I hadn’t originally intended to write for the Christian market. But during the five years it took to complete my first manuscript (I refer to that period as my college education), the calling of the Holy Sprit on my writing became undeniable. When I committed the work to God and strengthened the spiritual focus of the story, a submission that had been sitting in an editor’s reading pile for over a year sold within a matter of weeks. Staying true to that calling and to my writing style has proven to be a successful publishing strategy for me.
Molly: What words of wisdom do you have for aspiring writers?
Mae: #1 Network and get educated about writing and publishing! There are excellent groups that unpublished writers can join at a reasonable cost either in person or online. There are also many state and national organizations who offer contests and conferences to advance your career. #2 Don’s submit to an agent or editor until you’ve had a professional critique of your work! By that I don’t mean pay somebody to read what you’ve written, but find an author from your networking who will be willing to review your proposal before you submit it for consideration. Many published authors give graciously of their time in order to repay the same kindness that was shown to them earlier in their careers.
Molly: And what would you like to say to the readers in our South Texas area?
Mae: If you haven’t discovered the Inspirational market you are in for a treat. There is award-winning writing (including Molly’s!) in every genre to meet the needs of the reader who would prefer not to have to deal with foul language, sex and gratuitous violence in order to experience stories that will hold you spell bound from the first page to the last.
Molly: It was great having you today, Mae, and I hope you will come back real soon.
Mae: It was my pleasure! I hope the South Texas Living Magazine readers will visit me at www.MaeNunn.com. I welcome their questions and comments and encourage them to sign up for my great prize giveaways.
Molly: Next month my guest will be Sara Probasco from Uvalde, Texas with two books to tell us about. See you then.
Molly

No comments: