Tuesday, April 5, 2016

WORDS HURT


by Molly Noble Bull

It is true that sticks and stones can break bones. But words hurt. Words have hurt me. Words have hurt you. Unkind words have hurt just about everybody.
Yet Donald Trump defines people by calling them one of his now famous acid names. Every time he does it, I remember back when someone treated me unkindly, and I don’t want to remember those events. Nobody does.
I am a mom, a grandmother and former elementary and early childhood teacher, and I find myself constantly wishing I could wash Donald’s mouth out with soap or send him to the “time out” corner for his childish behavior. I am also a Christian. As a Christian, I forgave those who said or did something unkind to me and pray for them in the name of Jesus. But what of those who fail to forgive?
Can you spell stirring up anger? If I am an example, The Donald stirs up anger almost daily, and I don't like getting angry. That is not who I am. 
He has promised to become presidential once he gets the nomination. I hope he means it. But how can we know for sure? Can you imagine sitting on the edge of your chair each night, watching the evening news and waiting to hear what evil name the Donald called some world leader or his wife that day?
I don’t know about you, but my husband and I didn’t vote for Donald Trump in the Texas primary. Words hurt, and though none of the Republican candidates are perfect, only one has an acid tongue.
#
Check out my newest western, When the Cowboy Rides Away.




No comments: