Tuesday, March 27, 2012

WRITER AS CREATOR

by Connie Almony  

Do writers have a God-Complex?
                                                         
Well maybe.

One of the things I love about writing is how it gives me a glimpse of what it is like to be God. No, I do not have the power to alter realities … but I do have the power to alter “unrealities.” And oh what an exciting prospect. I can make new worlds and tweak them to be just what I want. I can control the weather, making it rain when the crops need water, and clear for the picnic. But one thing I still have no control over is … the human character.

Of course, I could create nice little robotic people who do what I say and treat everyone nice, including me. But that’s like when your husband says he loves you right after you ask him to. Like kissin’ your sister.

Though, I’m not going to say I know what God was thinking when He gave us Free Will, I can understand how He might want us to choose Him on our own, and not because He told us to.

So, I end up with these characters who, even though I want them to do one thing, I scratch my head and say, “He’d never do that.” It just doesn’t fit with who he is. But what if that thing I want him to do would really help? I might have to prod him in some way. Give him some sort of life-changing event that will make him want to do that one thing … even if it hurts. 
I do it. Sometimes I cringe as my character traverses this difficult land, and I have even shed a tear as I read through the scenario, but I know it’s necessary. My character needs it to grow. So I let it happen.  
I suspect God does the same thing.   
Connie’s experience includes working as a Christian Counselor in Columbia, Maryland. She has been married almost twenty years to a man who graciously encourages her writing obsession, and has two beautiful children who inspire her.
            Connie hosts the blog Living the Body of Christ and also writes book reviews and short fiction (Fiction Fun) for InfiniteCharacters.com.
Here is Connie Almony.

Please welcome her to Writers Rest by leaving a comment. Thanks in advance. 

5 comments:

Molly Noble Bull said...

Good article, Connie.
When I write books, I guess I do learn a tiny bit about what our Creator must go through. But that bit is so small, it's invisible. Believers are fortunate, having God the Father as our Lord. And what a mighty God He is.
How sad for those who never chose to meet Him and learn of Him. They miss so much.
Love,
Molly

Connie Almony said...

Thanks for the welcome, Molly. So good to be here.

Yes, what we do is so small compared to God. How small is our creation ... and His is vast beyond are largest imaginings!

Carrie Fancett Pagels said...

Best wishes, Connie, at Writer's Rest! We are so blessed to have you in the MidAtlantic Zone!

Kate Dolan said...

It is kind of fun to play "God" and create our own reality but you're absolutely right - we don't even have control over the characters we created. They do things we don't want them to and vice versa. Great post!

Teresa Slack said...

When we talk about how big God is and how small we are I think of the line in the Mercy Me song; "Such a tiny offering compared to Calvary, nevertheless I lay it at your feet."

Great article, Connie. I love the whole creative process. As for characters we can only push and prod them so far. They are alive and real on the page. If not, well, shame on the writer.