Saturday, October 15, 2011

LENA NELSON DOOLEY'S NEWEST NOVEL

                                                                

by Molly Noble Bull

                
Today I am interviewing Lena Nelson Dooley from Hurst, Texas, a multi-published author as well as an old friend. Lena writes Christian fiction. Welcome, Lena, it's great to have you here.   
“Thank you, Molly. It’s my pleasure.” 
“I just bought a copy of your newest novel, Maggie's Journey, and can hardly wait to read it.”

Maggie's Journey by Lena Nelson Dooley

“So, tell us about Maggie's Journey.” 
Lena:  
Maggie has grown up an only child. Her parents came west on the Oregon Trail, and finally settled in Seattle, Washington Territory. In 1885, near her 18th birthday, Maggie finds information that turns her world upside down. She journeys to find the answers about this information and discovers what’s really important in life and love.
Molly: 
Sounds great. Now, briefly tell us about each of the other books in the series. Are these books connected in some way? If so, how?
Lena:  
My McKenna’s Daughters series is about identical triplets who are separated at birth and the different directions their life paths take. The girls are close to their 18th birthday before they know they have sisters. Books 1 and 2, Mary’s Blessing, are about the girls who were adopted. Book 3, Catherine’s Pursuit is about the girl the father kept. There are a lot of issues that have to be dealt with as well as the search for their sisters.
Molly: 
Now I really want to read the books in this series.
So, Lena, tell us a little about your Christian walk. 
Lena:
I was raised in a Christian home. Accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was seven years old. As I traveled toward adulthood, I made many mistakes, but God never took His hand from me. In my twenties, I had a dynamic experience with the Lord that strengthened my walk with Him. I can’t imagine not having Him as the focal point of my life. He has taken me to many amazing places both physically, spiritually, and in my career.
Molly: 
What is your web address? Who is publishing your book? And how can we get a copy?
Lena:
My blog is http://lenanelsondooley.blogspot.com/ . There are tabs at the top of the blog that take you to pages that tell about me and my books.
The McKenna’s Daughters series was contracted by Realms, the fiction line at Charisma Media. I’ve also signed another 3-book contract with them for after this series is finished. The books are available in Christian bookstores, at Barnes & Noble, and on other websites, such as Amazon.com and Christianbooks.com. The titles come in print and as ebooks.
Molly:
Great. How do you decide where to set your novels?
Lena:
When I wrote for Barbour Publishing and Summerside Press, the publisher pretty much chose the settings, but I did have input into the choices. With the Realms books, I’ve chosen the settings myself. McKenna’s Daughters books are set in Seattle, Little Rock, Oregon City, Portland, and San Francisco.
With the next series, the first book starts in Colorado, but books two and three are set in Texas. I’ve only had one other book that was completely set in Texas—Wild West Christmas.
I’ve visited or lived in some of the places where I set the books. In others, I do a lot of research to make the setting authentic to the time period, whether it’s historical or contemporary.
Molly:  
Thanks again for coming by, Lena. And come back real soon.
Lena:
Anytime, Molly. I always enjoy connecting with you and your readers.
Molly:
To find Lena's books in bookstores or online, write Lena Nelson Dooley in the search slot.
*
Molly Noble Bull’s first non-fiction book, The Overcomers: Christian Authors Who Conquered Learning Disabilities, will be published by Westbow Press in early 2012. Besides Bull, the book is by Ginny Aiken, Margaret Daley, Jane Myers Perrine and Ruth Scofield, and all five are Love Inspired authors.
Brides and Blessings, Bull’s modern day western set in Texas, came out from Love Inspired in paperback and is now also available as a kindle e-book. Click below to learn more.

Please scroll down and continue reading Molly's articles on the roots of our Christian faith. 

 

8 comments:

Nancy Stanwood Asher said...

This sounds like a really fascinating book. Thanks for the interview, Molly. We'd also like to hear more about The Overcomers.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Dear Nancy,
Thanks for writing. I'm glad you liked the interview. I'm sure you will like Lena's book, too.
The Overcomers is a true account of five published Christian writers who (as children) had problems learning to read and spell or merely to sit still in our desks. The book tells how we overcame.
Thanks for asking.
Love,
Molly

Teresa Slack said...

Love, love, love Lena. She is an awesome lady & a great writer. So encouraging to everyone around her. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

Molly Noble Bull said...

You are right about Lena. She is not only a great writer, she is a great person.
Love,
Molly

Norma Thurston-Holtman said...

I read Lena's book, "Love Finds You in Golden, New Mexico." Since I live close to Golden I was really fascinated by her descriptions of life there.

I look forward to reading more of her writing.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks for writing, Norma. Come back soon.
Love,
Molly

Lena Nelson Dooley said...

Thank you, Nancy, Teresa, and Norma for dropping by.

Molly Noble Bull said...

Thanks, Lena, for dropping by. I know a lot of folks will want to buy your book.
Love,
Molly